Choosing windows for your Cincinnati, Dayton or Northern Kentucky home is a little more complex than it may seem on the surface. Not only will you have to consider aluminum vs. vinyl and casement or double hung, you will also have to choose between single pane, double pane and triple pane windows.
LEI Home Enhancements of Cincinnati wants to take the mystery out of the window decision-making process by explaining the differences, pros and cons of single, double and triple pane windows.
Single Pane Windows
Just as it sounds, single pane windows are made of one panel of glass. Held together inside the window frame, they come in a variety of styles and materials.
- They are lightweight, inexpensive and have many style options
- They are not as effective at noise reduction or energy efficiency
- Without the insulation of double and triple pane windows, you may see an increase in your heating and cooling bills
Double Pane Windows
These windows are made up of two panels of glass inside the frame and are a step up from the single pane windows.
- They trap gases like argon between the panels to improve home insulation
- Your home will be more energy efficient
- They help reduce the noise from outside the home
- They are more expensive than single pane windows
- To experience the energy benefits and cost savings, you can’t just replace one window. You really need to replace all the windows in your home, and that cost can add up fast
Triple Pane Windows
The premier window option of the three, a triple pane window is much like the double, only with three panels of glass inside the frame. A layer of gas separates each of the panels for ultimate benefit.
- They are more energy efficient than double-pane windows
- They give the home better soundproofing and insulation, resulting in lower utility bills
- They are difficult to break, adding to the home’s security
- The extra panels and dedicated frames do make them more expensive however, the energy savings they provide will pay for the cost of the windows
Which type of window should you choose?
If you plan to live in your home for years to come, or plan to sell it within 15 years, the energy savings and increased resale value make it worth investing in a more insulated window option. LEI Home Enhancements of Cincinnati is here to help you make the best window replacement decision for your home. We offer a variety of style choices, competitive prices and superior customer service. If you’d like to learn more about our window options or which type would be best for your unique situation, please schedule a free consultation with us. Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram for our latest tips and updates!