We Tri-staters know that cleaning your home’s windows can be difficult and time-consuming. It’s a chore that everyone dreads but the longer you put it off the harder it gets. Luckily it’s something that’s usually done only once a season and while it may not be your favorite chore, we thought we’d give you some tips for making it as quick, easy, and painless as possible.
Window Cleaning Supplies
The fastest way to knock out this chore is to have all your supplies gathered before you begin. What you’ll need:
- A dry towel from the dirty clothes hamper
- One clean towel
- Small bucket of warm water
- Dish soap
- Cleaning rag
- Small, clean, lint-free towel
- Window cleaning solution
- Vacuum cleaner with hose attachment
Homemade Window Cleaning Solution
There are plenty of great window cleaning products available commercially, but it’s easy enough to make your own cleaning solution that is just as — if not more effective — and it’s all-natural. In a spray bottle, add one part room-temperature water and one part white vinegar. If you’d like your solution to smell great, add 5 drops of essential lemon or orange oil. Note that if you do add essential oils, gently shake the bottle before each use.
“Z” For The Win
It’s best to clean your windows during a dry, partly cloudy day. This will allow you to catch streaks as you clean. Now that you’re ready, here are the seven steps to a sparkling clean window:
- Place the used towel on the floor beneath the window to catch any spillage.
- Use the vacuum cleaner’s attachment to remove debris from the window sill and window tracks.
- Add a few drops of dish soap to the bucket of warm water.
- Use a cleaning rag to scrub the window and the window sills. Don’t worry about streaks at this point.
- Use a clean towel to dry the window.
- Working from top to bottom, spray the window with a cleaning solution.
- Using the lint-free towel, slowly make your way down the window in the shape of a Z.
Some people find it easier to do all the windows on one floor at once, and some prefer to break up the chore and do one room at a time while they’re watching TV, listening to music, or even talking on the phone.
New windows are a great way to enhance the beauty of your home, better protecting it against the weather changes and high humidity we have in the Greater Cincinnati area. It’s also the best way to reduce your monthly Duke Energy bill. Plus, our Double Hung Windows make it easy to clean both sides from the comfort of your home.
Over the past decade, LEI Home Enhancements of Cincinnati has become one of the most trusted names in the country for window replacement. If you’re in the Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, or Dayton area and looking to enjoy the benefits of stronger, safer windows, contact LEI Home Enhancements of Cincinnati today at 513-738-4663. Not only can we give you a free consultation, but we’ll also let you know about our great money-saving promotions! Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram for our latest tips and updates!